Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reflection (written June 1, 2012)


I look in the mirror and what do I see?
A girl not pretty, but ugly
and plain as can be.

I wish I was taller or shorter
thinner or toned
stick-like or muscular
or satisfied
with the body I own.

I wish the world didn’t see me
as the freckles on my face,
the amount of melanin in my skin
that I try to erase
by scrubbing my flesh
Red Raw.

I want to see Change
anything and everything Changed
but no matter what I do
I can never be You
I’ll never be “it” or “in”
never fit this day’s definition of “thin”

So why do I try?
trapped in a  modern world’s Model-sized cage
so tight I can’t move,
I just cry.

All I want to do is survive
or die.

I look in the mirror and what do I see?
a Reflection.
But not mine,
just a world of girls
hurting like me

Yes, that is what I see
everyone wants to look like “Her”
but they feel like Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment